Menu

Thyroidectomy & Progesterone effects on TSH, T4 and T3

by Kathryn
(Fresno, CA, USA)

I've had a Thyroidectomy 7 years ago. Have been stable on Synthroid until Menopause. I am now Post-Menopausal (58) and am now, after higher doses, also on a very low HRT .025 trans-dermal and 100mg oral Bio-Identical Progesterone. I am still having hypothyroid symptoms and added 12mg topical Progesterone, which seems to aggravate my o estrogen receptors. Per your recommendations I would add more progesterone however when I do so it raises my TSH to a more hypothyroid state. Has anyone experienced adding progesterone therapy and having to adjust their Thyroid medication. The issue of having to adjust Thyroid medication complicates my situation. I have read that adding progesterone should lower TSH. My experience is that it raises my TSH. There seems to be a lack of literature on Thyroidexctomy and post menopausal women and how to adjust hormones. When I increase Progesterone my TSH and T4 increase and T3 decrease. I seem to be unable to convert/process the Synthroid appropriately. When I add T3 Cytomel to compensate, i am not able to do so without a significant increase in my heart rate and adverse reactions to my adrenals.

The doctors told me I had Adrenal Fatigue, but i really suspect it is just a hormone and progesterone deficiency. I seem to be in a loop that as I increase Progesterone I become more hypothyroid. As I become more hypothyroid I am not able to compensate with higher Synthroid/Cytomel.

Any advice would help.

Comments for Thyroidectomy & Progesterone effects on TSH, T4 and T3

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 24, 2023
Thyroidectomy & Progesterone effects on TSH, T4 and T3
by: Joy

​Hi Kathryn

A few things going on here. Both you and your doctor are correct. Adrenal Fatigue and messed up hormones.​ Look up the Adrenal Fatigue Cocktail and see if that will help you.​

As mentioned ad nauseam on this website we do not believe that any woman needs to take extra estrogen! There are well over 100 mimics in our Environment as it is, why take more? Unfortunately you haven't been advised correctly on how to use progesterone. All oral progesterone is not the best Delivery Method as around 96% gets destroyed by the gut and liver, see here. You are not getting anywhere near the required amount needed. What is happening here is that this is aggravating your estrogen receptors, definitely not what any woman needs. The recommended amount is between 100-200mg per day, every day using a good organic cream such as Natpro which was formulated over 30 years ago. Please read the How to use Progesterone Cream page and take note of Estrogen Dominance symptoms

I am assuming that all tests have been done and that they are as stated on the Hormone Testing page. Normal values for TSH are 0.4 - 4.0 mIU/L, T3 is 100 - 200 ng/dL or 1.54 - 3.08 nmol/L and T4 4 to 11 mcg/dL or 60 - 140 nmol/L. Nutrients, apart from D3 may help you. Consider taking selenium, iodine and selenium. There is also an excellent Facebook Group called Stop the Thyroid Madness that may help you, see here.
​​
Vitamin D3 plays a huge part too, if low it reduces the benefits of progesterone. It is connected to every single function cell in our bodies including Has your D3 level been tested?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Progesterone faq.